Thursday, May 8, 2014

In the Time of Butterflies - Julia Alvarez

This is a work of fiction that is based on real events and real people. It tells the story of the Mirabel sisters who grew up in the Dominican Republic during the reign of Trujillo. During the reading of this book, you will come to know and love each of these four sisters and their family.  

The book begins with the only living sister Dede but covers the life and stories of all four girls and the tragic end that comes for Minerva, Patria, and Maria Teresa. These three girls are known as butterflies in their country because that (Mariposa) was their code names in the underground group that planned to overthrow the government.

This is such an amazing story! I found myself thinking about these girls during the course of my days, even when I wasn't reading.   I am now going to have to search out Julia Alvarez's other books and see if they are on par with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment