Sunday, April 27, 2014

From Scratch: Inside the Food Network - Allen Salkin

I really wanted to love this book.  It's about the Food Network and most of the Food Network stars were interviewed.  I love food.  I love the Food Network.  I love most of the shows on the Food Network.  What's not to love about this book then, right?  Unfortunately, I felt it focused way too much on the behind the scenes network/tv/money aspect and not enough on the Food Network stars or their individual shows.  I found it a little dry and boring.

 I'm sure it is a great book if you are looking for an inside look at a cable network channel.  But if you're looking for a great story about food and the food network stars, look elsewhere.

2 comments:

  1. You are right that this book was really very focused on the business of the Food Network and less focused on the stars or even, ironically, the food. I thought the book was too long (and I only managed about two thirds of it) but once I stopped worrying about finishing it or keeping all the people straight, I found that the little stories were quite amusing. How funny that the original sets were not even working kitchens! Well, thanks for your review and I hope the next few books are more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the book needed some editing to focus the story more, and for all the drama about personalities it promised on the cover it didn't deliver. If it had said straight out it was focused on the business side of Food Network I think people would have had the right expectations. I did enjoy small little stories interspersed here or there but they were really spread out, and reminded me of a history professor telling it dryly with only some fun parts, when it could have been a lot more fun depending on how it was told because there was a lot going on! I was disappointed too, but took what positive and what learnings/tidbits I could from it!

    ReplyDelete